Frequently Asked Questions

Plant Ponds and Building

What are the current customer rates?

Please see our Monthly Billing Rates page for customer fees at this link: Monthly Billing Rates. You may also want to view our Residential Customer Tips for more billing information.

Back to top > >

What is the procedure for applying for a side sewer permit?

The side sewer permit application is available on this website (see Doing Business). Please complete the application and submit it to our office prior to paying any permit or connection fees. The District has up to 3 working days to review your application. Your contractor must be current on their registration in order for the permit to be approved. Once approved, the permit/connection fees may be paid. The District requires at least a 24-hour notice to schedule an inspection.

Back to top > >

How do surrounding areas get added to the Sewer District?

An annexation to the District is initiated by a petition of landowners, followed by formal hearings and the ultimate approval of the Snohomish County Boundary Review Board. You may access more information about annexing property on this website by looking at the Annexation Forms page (under Doing Business). Or you may contact our office at (425) 334-8588.

Back to top > >

Guy going into a manhole

Is there some way in which I can stay abreast of what is happening in the Sewer District?

The public is invited to attend Sewer District meetings, which are held regularly on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month. Information is also posted regularly on this web site.

To receive information on the new Sunnyside Wastewater Treatment Plant, you may contact, Mike Jauhola, P.E. at Gray & Osborne, Inc. (206) 284-0860, or our District Office (425-334-8588)to get signed up.

Back to top > >

How is the District governed?

The District is governed by a three-member Board of Commissioners elected to six-year terms. See the Overview section for details.

Back to top > >

How many service connections are there in the District?

There are approximately 10,000 sewer connections within the District (including connections within the City of Lake Stevens).

Back to top > >

What do I need to do if I am buying or selling a property in the Lake Stevens Sewer District?

Just call our office at (425( 334-8588 and provide us with the updated billing account information. We would appreciate knowing the new owner's name, phone number, property address as well as mailing address.

Back to top > >

What are your hours of operation?

The Lake Stevens Sewer District offices are open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Monday and 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Tuesday through Friday. The office is closed on most governmental holidays.

Back to top > >

What do I do if I come in to pay my bill and the office is closed?


Please reference on the check the account that the payment is for. We ask that no cash payments are placed in our drop boxes.

Back to top > >

Can you shut off my sewer service?

Boats on the water

Since we aren't part of the water service we don't have the ability to shut off anyone's sewer service. If your property is going to be vacant for several months you might consider applying for a permit to cap your sewer line (see rates and fees for cost of permit). You would need to hire a contractor to do the work which the District will inspect. When the home is going to be occupied again you will need a permit to uncap the line. Therefore, it may not be cost effective to cap the line unless the home will be vacant for a year or more.

Back to top > >

I have been notified that there is a lien on my property, what does that mean and how do I have it removed?

This means your sewer account is at least 2 months delinquent. It's important to contact the District so we can assist you in getting your account current which will allow us to release the lien. If lien notices are ignored and payments continue to be delinquent then foreclosure proceedings could begin which are much more costly to you. Therefore, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible so we may provide some assistance.

Back to top > >

Do You accept credit card payments?

Yes, you can make a payment with your debit or credit card right from this website. We accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express.

Back to top > >

Can you do an automatic debit from my bank account, and if so how do I set it up?

Water Treatment Dam

The Lake Stevens Sewer District is now able to do a direct debit from your bank account. You will need to fill out an application and provide us with a voided check. You can either pick up a form at the Sewer District Offices, or you can print a copy off this web site fill it out, sign it, and return it to the District Offices with your voided check attached.

Credit/Debit Authorization Form

Back to top > >

Why do I still receive a sewer bill when Iím on automatic pay through my bank?

It actually costs less to send all our customers a statement than it costs to have staff remove them for certain accounts. Also, some customers have commented that they appreciate receiving the statement because it reminds them to deduct the amount from their check register.

Back to top > >

Do developers pay for the growth?

Yes. The District requires developers to pay connection fees for every house they plan to connect to the sewer system. In fact, the District has already set aside $15 million dollars in developer fees for the cost of constructing the new treatment plant (with $22 million expected over the next decade).

Back to top > >

Why would delaying the construction of the new plant increase the overall cost for everyone?

The main reason was the fact that the District had secured $77 million dollars in low-interest loans from the State. This was a huge achievement. So, even though the bid to construct came in higher than anticipated, if the District did not move forward to construct the plant, the funding would have been lost. It is unlikely the District would have an opportunity for such a large amount of state funding in the future (as there are so many other agencies that apply). Without low-interest loans, the debt for the plant would be much greater, which in turn means higher rates for our customers.

Back to top > >

Why was the current plant built in a flood plain?

You may be surprised to find out that 50 years ago it was a common practice to build sewer plants in flood plain areas. The land could be purchased at a much lower cost and being close to a river provided an access point to discharge the treated water. Since that time there have been environmental regulations put in place to protect our wetlands. Our District Commissioners have been working for several years toward the goal of moving our wastewater treatment operation out of the flood plain, and out of harmís way.

Back to top > >

I saw a truck dumping into one of your manholes, is this legal?

Only Evergreen Sanitation has a contract with the Lake Stevens Sewer District allowing them to dump pre-treated supernatant into our sewer line. Evergreen Sanitation is closely monitored in their treatment of and disposal of the contents of the trucks. They have continued to meet the required pre-treatment standards of their effluent stream. These dumps are a small portion of the District overall flow and only a special part of Evergreen Sanitation's on-site generated septic flows. Evergreen Sanitation is also required to have an accredited laboratory for the daily testing of the supernatant prior to it's dumping. Any loads that do not pass requirements are not allowed to be dumped. The District also has unannounced split-sample checking of this flow stream per our agreement. Further these flows are limited by State requirement to not exceed 50,000 gallons in one day. Normal daily dump volumes currently fall far below this threshold. Each dump is permitted only at a specific District site unless otherwise prearranged through the District.

Additionally, Evergreen Sanitation is charged for each and every dump, on a monthly basis at an increased surcharge rate over our residential customers. The actual flows from Evergreen Sanitation are approximately 1/2 the strength of corresponding normal domestic sewage after it has gone through the pre-treatment process before dumping.

However, if you see other septic disposal trucks dumping into any District facilities please notify the District immediately at (425) 334-8588 as these are not licensed dumps. Also, be advised that campers and motor homes are not permitted to dump into the public sanitary sewer as well. The constituents used in RV holding tanks to control smell and promote digestion are very harmful to the District treatment plant process and therefore not permitted. Only large facilities such as Seattle or Everett have sufficient flow volumes to handle RV flows successfully. Please advise us if you see campers or RV's dumping to the District facilities.

Back to top > >

Sewer District Web Site Design and Hosting by Ed-Web Design, Inc